CADET requires two components to be downloaded and installed:
- Node.js, which provides a local Web server on your computer
- CADET itself
- Download and install Node.js.
- Download the most recent LTS (Long-Term Support) release for your computer.
- Make sure to match your operating system (Windows or Mac) and architecture (32-/64-bit).
- After running the Node installer, you can verify that the installation was successful:
- Open a Command/DOS window (if running on Windows) or a terminal window (if running on Mac) and type "node --version" (no quotes). A message should appear with a version number (e.g., v6.10.3).
- Download CADET
- Mac: select the link for the latest Mac installer. After it downloads, double-click on cadet-setup-[version number].dmg. When the image mounts, drag the CADET application to your Applications folder. You can place a shortcut to CADET in your dock if you'd like.
- Windows: select the link for the latest Windows installer. After it downloads, double-click on cadet-setup-[version number].exe. When the installer runs, accept all of the defaults (or specify a new installation location). A CADET shortcut will be placed on your desktop.
- Linux: select the link for the latest cadet.zip. After it downloads, unzip it, placing the "cadet" directory somewhere where it will be writeable (by default CADET's preference file is placed in the "cadet" directory tree.
Note: If you are installing a CADET update, please be sure to QUIT all previous instances of CADET before installing and running the update: from within CADET, open CADET's File menu and choose Quit.
On MacUse the double-clickable application you installed above.
- Double-click on the CADET application, and CADET will open in your default browser.
On WindowsUse the double-clickable application you installed above.
- Double-click on the CADET shortcut, and CADET will open in your default browser.
On LinuxLaunch from a terminal window.
- Open a terminal window.
- Change directory into cadet/cadet-resources directory (assuming it's in your home directory):
- Run the CADET server:
node cadet-server --dir ~
- CADET server will launch your default browser, pointing to the server. If not, launch a browser and navigate to:
When you open CADET on Windows or Mac OS, a launcher will briefly appear on the screen and then will run in the background, with output similar to that shown below:
Under most circumstances, you will not need to interact with the launcher.
When you are finished using CADET, quit the application by choosing CADET's Do not quit CADET by closing the launcher. Doing so will display a dialog that warns you that all unsaved changes will be lost.menu and selecting .
When you quit CADET, the launcher will automatically close. To open CADET again, simply double-click on the desktop shortcut.